Starters, small plates and sides important as eating habits shift: Technomic
By Canadian PizzaFeatures Trends appetizers small plates starters technomic
Chicago – Starters, small plates and sides are growing in popularity as eating habits shift to include more snacking and sharing, according to research from Technomic.
Small plates, in particular, continue to proliferate on menus and are helping to change meal dynamics, suggests the company’s recently released 2017 Starters, Small Plates & Sides Consumer Trend Report.
“Preference is growing for meals that include several smaller-portioned or shareable dishes instead of those focused on a single entree,” explains Kelly Weikel, director of consumer insights at Technomic. “Small plate and appetizer bundles, samplers and more innovative side dishes are trending as consumers increasingly opt for meals that feature a variety of flavours.”
Key takeaways from the report:
- Thirty-eight per cent of consumers who order appetizers strongly agree that they sometimes visit a certain restaurant because they are craving a specific appetizer.
- Forty-three per cent of consumers would like more full-service restaurants to offer small plates.
- Sixty-two per cent of consumers say it’s important that they can choose the side that comes with their entrée.
The full report may be obtained from www.technomic.com.
Print this page
- Top 10 reasons to attend the Canadian Pizza Show: updated
- Edmonton’s first no-tipping restaurant now allows tipping