Pizza Pizza menu items earn Health Check
By Canadian Pizza
By Canadian Pizza
November 2, 2011, Toronto – Pizza Pizza joins the Heart and Stroke Foundation’s Health Check program with five menu items, including new pizzas and salad, that meet the nutritional criteria of the program.
Pizza Pizza is among the first national quick service restaurant chains to join the Health Check program.
“Meeting the Health Check criteria has been on our priority list,” said Pat Finelli, chief marketing officer for Pizza Pizza. “We have been working together to satisfy the standards of the Heart and Stroke Foundation while maintaining our taste and value pricing priorities.”
The Heart and Stroke Foundation developed the Health Check program to help Canadians identify food products and menu items that meet nutritional criteria based on Canada’s Food Guide. The Foundation’s registered dietitians evaluate each product and menu item to determine eligibility for a Health Check symbol, based on a two slice serving of pizza.
Pizza Pizza has worked to ensure that its Health Check menu items meet the strict requirements for nutrients including sodium, fat, sugar, protein and fibre, as well as portion size.
Pizza Pizza’s Health Check menu items now include:
- Chicken rustica on whole wheat multigrain dough, topped with chicken, roasted red peppers, grilled zucchini and red onion.
- Grilled veggie and goat cheese pizza on whole wheat multigrain dough, with classic tomato sauce, grilled zucchini, fire roasted red peppers, red onion, goat cheese and mozzarella cheese.
- Trio pommodoro pizza on whole wheat multigrain dough, topped with Roma tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, roasted garlic, bruschetta sauce, parmesan and mozzarella cheese.
- Garden veggie pizza on classic or whole wheat multigrain dough, topped with Roma tomatoes, fresh mushrooms, green peppers, classic tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Garden salad featuring leafy greens and raspberry vinaigrette dressing.
Health Check menu items are the newest addition to a line-up of health-conscious initiatives introduced by Pizza Pizza over the past few years, including gluten-free dough, whole wheat multigrain dough and removing industrially added trans fats from the entire menu.