Mystery Ingredient Challenge lets pizza chefs get creative
By Canadian PizzaFeatures Trends ardent mills Canadian pizza chef of the year canadian pizza magazine chef of the year canadian pizza summit chef of the year faema canada faema culinary academy pizza trade show
Toronto – This October, the Canadian Pizza Summit adds a new event to its lineup – the Mystery Ingredient Challenge!
Do you enjoy being creative under pressure? Show us what pizza magic you can work using your skill, imagination and knowledge of flavours to incorporate specific ingredients into a signature pizza! Competitors will be given a list of ingredients ahead of the competition from which to choose plus one Mystery Ingredient that must be used! That’s the challenge! On competition day at the Canadian Pizza Summit, participating pizza makers will create a one-of-a-kind pizza using the ingredients provided by Canadian Pizza Summit and sponsors.
The new competition will take place as part of the Canadian Pizza Summit and Chef of the Year Competitions on Monday, Oct. 21, in Toronto at the Faema Culinary Academy.
To get tuned in to the latest trends at pizzerias, enter or simply come watch the exciting competition! Here are details:
Competitor prep: Competitors will have the choice to attend briefing sessions on Sunday, Oct. 20, to familiarize themselves with the ovens and kitchen space.
Dough: Competitors will bring their own dough (enough for two 12-inch pizzas).
Ingredients: Competitors will be given a list of ingredients they can use by Oct. 1, three weeks before the competition on Oct. 21 at the Canadian Pizza Summit). These ingredients will be provided to competitors the day of the Mystery Ingredient Challenge (at the Canadian Pizza Summit).
Mystery Ingredient: One special Mystery Ingredientwill be revealed at the beginning of the Mystery Ingredient Challenge at the Summit on Oct. 21!
Kitchen space: All competitors will prepare and bake their pizzas at the same time (simultaneously) in the kitchen using one of four ovens – gas deck, electric deck and high-temperature (domed) oven (oven specifications will be provided prior to the Summit). Chefs will provide their ideal temperature range (500-600 F, 600-700 F, 700-800 F or 800-900 F) and oven assignments will be determined by the chefs’ ideal temperature.
Timing: Competitors will have 30 minutes to prepare and cook two identical pizzas feautring the mystery ingredient – one pizza to present to the judges and one to share with attendees!
PRIZES!! AND RULES…
WHO CAN COMPETE?
Open to owners and employees of Canadian foodservice operations who are 18 years of age and older. IMPORTANT: Pizza makers may enter only one of the pizza-making Chef of the Year Competitions (Tradition OR Open OR Mystery Ingredient Challenge).
WHAT’S AT STAKE? (ASIDE FROM MAJOR BRAGGING RIGHTS)
WINNER: Canadian Pizza magazine will be featuring you and your mystery pizza in the magazine! Your prize package will include a gift certificate for a course from Faema Culinary Academy and, of course, an award to display proudly in your pizzeria!
ALL CHEFS: A plaque to recognize your participation in the Mystery Ingredient Challenge as well as ingredient prizes from our sponsors and exhibitors.
WHAT DETAILS DO I NEED TO KNOW?
First, choose the division you would like to compete in. IMPORTANT: Individual competitors must choose only one division.
NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
- A maximum of five spaces are available.
- Entries are accepted on a first come, first served basis.
- Competitors will have the same amount of time to prepare, bake and present their pizzas.
- TIME: Competitors will bake their pizzas simultaneously.
I REGISTERED… NOW WHAT SHOULD I BRING?
CANADIAN PIZZA SUMMIT WILL SUPPLY…
- Limited refrigeration space (competitors are advised to bring their dough in coolers)
- Stainless steel prep tables
- Metal pizza peels
- Pizza wheels
- Pie server
- Rubber gloves if desired
- Paper towels
- Hand wash station
- Spray cleaner
- All toppings (competitors will choose from an ingredient table provided by Canadian Pizza). Mystery Ingredient (to be revealed on competition day!)
COMPETITORS NEED TO BRING…
- Dough for 2 identical pizzas (minimum 12-inch) – one for judges, one for attendees
- Pizza peel (if specific type is preferred)
- Pans or anything specific to your pizza at the prep or bake stage
- Probe thermometer if required
- Presentation plate
- Any other items, such as a rolling pin, not listed on the Canadian Pizza Summit supply list that you may require
WHO WILL JUDGE MY PIZZA?
The judging panel will be made up of impartial culinary experts that may include chefs, food critics and pizzeria owners. The judges’ names and bios will be published in advance.
Pizzas will be scored on the following criteria:
- Crust (texture, flavour, appearance, crumb, etc.)
- Toppings (do the flavours complement each other? Bland, strong, appetizing, correct preparation, etc.)
- Creativity (innovation in ingredient preparation and use, wow factor). How well does the Mystery Ingredient come through?
- Bake (not burnt, undercooked, etc.)
- Presentation (visual appearance)
WHAT RULES DO I NEED TO KNOW?
- Entrant must be the owner or employee of a Canadian pizzeria or restaurant that features homemade (fresh) pizzas comprising at least 25% of the operation. They must be 18 years of age or older. The competition is open only to owners, managers, chefs or employees from the restaurant and pizzeria industries. Canadian Pizza employees and their family members are not eligible, nor are employees or representatives of advertisers, exhibitors, other suppliers to the industry or their affiliates.
- Entrants must bake and present their pizza to the judges within their allotted time. Failure to do so will result in disqualification.
- Only one entry (type of pizza) per competitor is permitted, and up to two competitors per establishment.*
- *”Establishment” refers to business ownership and not physical location. Corporately owned pizzeria or restaurant chains may enter up to two competitors across the corporation. Individual franchisees count as one establishment and may enter up to two competitors per franchisee.
- Entries will close when the maximum number has been reached.
- Ingredient list, bake times and oven information will be provided in advance of the competition.
- Entrants must supply dough for two 12-inch pizzas.
- Judges’ decisions are final.
- Prizes are non-transferable.
WHAT IS THE DEADLINE TO REGISTER?
Competition registration is on a first come, first served basis. The deadline for entries is Sept. 30, 2019. Any entries after Sept. 30 must be approved by show management. Entries close in any division once it reaches the above-mentioned maximum number of participants.
The full rules and future updates will be posted on the Canadian Pizza Summit website.
The Canadian Pizza Summit and Chef of the Year Competitions are brought to you by Canadian Pizza magazine with support from Platinum sponsor Moretti Forni, distributed by Faema Canada, Gold sponsors Ardent Mills and Stanislaus Food Products, attendee bag sponsor MenuSano and lanyard sponsor Lallemand Baking.
Watch the magazine and website for details, sign up for our enewsletter to keep up to date and follow us on social media:
Check out this video from last year’s Summit. We had a great time meeting Canadian operators and their teams! Step back from your operation, come to the Summit, see what others are doing and find your inspiration!
Print this page