Top 10 reasons to compete in the Canadian Pizza Chef of the Year competitions
By Colleen Cross
Mississauga, Ont. – In case you were wondering why you should enter the Canadian Pizza magazine’s Chef of the Year competitions, here are the definitive Top 10 reasons you need to bring it on Oct. 17.
10. It’s free! The Canadian Pizza Show and competitions are open to owners and employees of Canadian foodservice operations. This day is all about pizza, all about Canada and all about you, the people behind the pie.
9. The prizes are boss! The winner and runner-up of the Chef of the Year finale will both win trips to Las Vegas and spots to compete in the International Pizza Challenge. The Fold-Off winner will receive a plaque recognizing their win.
8. You have five ways to win:
• Seasonal Pizza Challenge (10 may compete)
• The Great Pizza Box Fold-Off (10 may compete)
• Chef of the Year – Pizza Napoletana Division (12 may compete)
• Chef of the Year – Open Division (12 may compete)
• Overall Canadian Pizza Chef of the Year (two will compete – Pizza Napoletana and Open winners)
7. It’s a great way to check out – and taste – trends in pizza. Sandwich-inspired pizza, seafood pizza, squid-ink pizza, breakfast pizza, dessert pizza, potato pizza – we’ve seen a lot of innovation over the years and we hope you’ll keep showing us more. This is your best chance to see what your industry is up to. Snoop, take pictures, ask questions, compare notes, borrow ideas. It’s all good!
6. It shows your pizzeria is cutting-edge. Your customers will love knowing their favourite pizzeria is full of surprises; your boss will love knowing you bring passion to the job and both loyal and new customers through the door.
5. It’s a chance to challenge yourself. Stuck in a routine? Why not test your skills in a competitive, friendly and supportive atmosphere? Everyone wants to win, but hey, we’re Canadian too, and we want you to bring your best!
4. It gives you iron-clad bragging rights. I suspect this is a bigger motivator than many of you care to admit. I know y’all are a competitive bunch. Post your winning plaque on the wall of your pizzeria, share your story on the menu and with your local newspaper. Being Chef of the Year – even competing in the event – will kindle interest in your regular customers and may bring in some new ones.
3. It satisfies the adrenalin junkie in you. What are you like under pressure? This is one of the more interesting ways to find out. Bring your ingredients in ready to assemble (or live on the edge and do some prepping on the spot) and find a focus that will help you in everything you do.
2. It helps build your team. Manager, store purchaser, seasoned chef, make-line pro, front-counter customer pleaser or delivery diva – there’s a place for your entire team here. The Great Pizza Box Fold-Off is open to anyone in the store and the Junior division lets young chefs get a taste for competition. We’ve all heard millennial workers crave training and personal development. What better way to reward and inspire them to greater heights!
And the number 1 reason to compete?
It’s fun! When the dough starts flying, we’ve seen it time and again: the grins that come from knowing you’re exactly where you should be. If you’re worried all eyes will be on you, don’t be: they’re on your pizza!
I might add this is a great chance to talk to your editor (ahem) and let her know what’s going on at your pizzeria!
Now, it’s time to take action. Check out our Canadian Pizza Show website for rules, photo galleries and a glimpse into what it’s all about. Don’t delay: Entries are limited, on a first-come, first-served basis, and close on Sept. 30.