Restaurants Canada urges Ontario premier to set up industry survival task force
By Canadian PizzaCOVID-19 Updates News Business and Operations Finance Health & Safety
Toronto – Restaurants Canada is urging the Ontario government to set up a dedicated task force to help food-service businesses survive the ongoing COVID-19 crisis.
On behalf of the province’s food-service sector, Restaurants Canada has sent a letter to Premier Doug Ford calling for a task force to provide industry with the following support for as long as restrictions remain in place:
- A framework for ensuring businesses facing significant restrictions are provided sufficient, efficient and effective aid to survive and recover from the ongoing economic and public health crisis.
- Joint communications materials and campaigns to reassure Ontario residents that restaurants provide safe alternatives to private gatherings, and
promote takeout and delivery to show support for struggling entrepreneurs, restaurant staff and local food suppliers.
- Data transparency and timely consultation, so that businesses can better prepare and adapt to evolving COVID-19 response measures.
“Since the start of the pandemic, our members have been investing millions to protect the health and safety of their staff and patrons,” said Restaurants Canada president and chief executive officer Todd Barclay. “When jurisdictions experience rising cases, restaurant operators deserve to know why, and what they can do to continue playing an important role in the economic recovery of their communities.”
Restaurants Canada also continues to urge the provincial government to assure businesses that a moratorium on commercial tenant evictions will remain in place for as long as their operations are limited by COVID-19 restrictions.
Everyone interested in joining the call for a dedicated task force to help restaurants survive the ongoing COVID-19 crisis can send a letter to their MPP.
Print this page
- MOD Pizza unveils limited-edition “Squad Cake” to support staff facing crises
- Two-tier heated Grab’N Go cases easy to place, operate and relocate