Business and Operations
Pizzerias, register now for Bakery Showcase 2022!
By Canadian Pizza
By Canadian Pizza
Martin Barnett, executive director of the Baking Association of Canada, invites pizza chefs, owners and operators to come out to Bakery Showcase.
“About 7,000 years ago somebody’s grandmother threw some toppings on a slab of dough put it on a hot stone and pizza was born!” says Barnett, who has worked in a variety of bakery businesses, including running his own Seraphina’s Oven on Vancouver Island.
“Pizza and bread are inseparable and at the Bakery Showcase we will be demonstrating equipment and ingredients to enhance your flatbread program. Join us!”
Bakery Showcase 2022 is set for April 10-11 at Toronto’s Congress Centre! Canada’s national baking industry event featuring a bustling trade show and conference with an exciting lineup of inspirational speakers, education sessions, competitions and demonstrations to help you take your bakery, café or restaurant to the next level.
It’s a long-overdue chance to connect with other operators, bakers, suppliers and experts in the field and take home ideas you can act on for your own business.
- 100,000 square feet showcasing baked goods (fresh, proof & bake, par-baked, freezer-to-oven, thaw & serve) baking ingredients, equipment, packaging services and technology and experts to help you make smart decisions for your pizzeria or bakery business.
- Demo Day! On Monday, April 11, at the Main Stage you’ll find diverse demonstrations on such topics as shaping and scoring artisan bread, incorporating California Raisins, peanuts and peanut butter in high-protein, naturally sweet and nutrient-dense baked goods, and infusing your baked goods with CBD oil.
- Award-winning, world-travelling Master Baker Marcus Mariathas. vice-president of product development at Weston Foods (FGF Brands), will demonstrate shaping and scoring techniques. In 2015, he competed as part of Team Canada to win the Coupe Louis Lesaffre Americas in the Baguettes and Breads of the World category. The team qualified for the Coupe de la Boulangerie, a first for Canada! He has connected with baking experts worldwide, and now is excited to teach others the tips and tricks that he’s learned. A can’t-miss session featuring tasty samples!
- In “Thriving in a Labour Shortage” experts tackle challenges for Canadian bakeries. This informative session will show you how to get grants and other recuperating funds, how to find and keep skilled employees and how automation can help your restaurant be efficient and less dependent on skilled labour.
- “Learn Your ABCs: The Art and Business of Baking with Cannabis” will bring together experts in baking with cannabis and cannabis licensing to explore why you might try baking with cannabis. Day 2 enjoy a demo on the Main Stage with Chef Don Gingrich on infusing your baked goods with CBD oil – and sample the chef’s creations.
- Bakers Journal and founding sponsor Ardent Mills will reveal the Jake the Baker Inspirational Bakery of the Year and present the award in person!
- Justine Martin will share the inspiring story of how she used her creativity, flexibility and communication skills to build a thriving business, Guilty Pleasures Bakery + Catering. Learn how acting on the right opportunity at the right time can mean successfully scaling up.
- Mahathi Mundluru, a contestant on the Great Canadian Baking Show will share why she entered the competition, what it’s like to bake under pressure under the tent and details of her specialties.
- And much more . . . watch baking.ca (link: https://baking.ca/bakery-showcase-toronto/toronto-schedule/) for program updates!