PRIZES!! AND RULES…WHO CAN COMPETE?
Open to owners and employees of Canadian foodservice operations who are 18 years of age and older.
IMPORTANT: Those who have won first place in the last three years may not enter Chef of the Year.
WHAT’S AT STAKE? (ASIDE FROM MAJOR BRAGGING RIGHTS)
- WINNER (TRADITIONAL, FINAL): $500 to spend in Las Vegas where you will have just won a free trip to compete in the International Pizza Challenge at Pizza Expo 2020. Canadian Pizza magazine will be featuring you on the cover! And of course, an award to display proudly in your pizzeria.
- WINNER (OPEN, FINAL): $500 to spend in Las Vegas where you will have just won a free trip to compete in the International Pizza Challenge at Pizza Expo 2020. Canadian Pizza magazine will be featuring you on the cover! And of course, an award to display proudly in your pizzeria.
- SECOND PLACE (TRADITIONAL DIVISION): An award to display proudly in your pizzeria.
- SECOND PLACE (OPEN DIVISION): An award to display proudly in your pizzeria.
- THIRD PLACE (TRADITIONAL DIVISION): An award to display proudly in your pizzeria.
- THIRD PLACE (OPEN DIVISION): An award to display proudly in your pizzeria.
- ALL CHEFS: A plaque to recognize your participation in Chef of the Year.
First, choose the division you would like to compete in. *Individual competitors must choose one division or the other.
TRADITIONAL: Competitors provide the dough, cheese/cheese blend and spices. They must use a red sauce. No more than two (2) of the following toppings may be added: pepperoni, sausage, bacon, ham, mushrooms, peppers, tomatoes, onions and olives. Please note that different varieties of these toppings will constitute only one (1) topping; for example, a blend of sausages or a blend of pepperonis is permissible. A drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil after baking is acceptable; no other drizzles are allowed. No fresh herbs or spices may be added after baking. These guidelines are loosely based on Traditional or Napoletana characteristics, and are intended to allow creativity. A competitor’s pizza will be disqualified if the judges decide it contains too many toppings or impermissible toppings.
OPEN: Competitors may enter a pizza with any combination and number of toppings they choose. Crust may be traditional, or deep-dish. Imagination is your only limit.
NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
- A maximum of 12 spaces are available in each division.
- Entries are accepted on a first come, first served basis.
- Each division contestants will have the same amount of time to prepare, bake and present their pizzas.
- TIME: Competition prep and presentation times will be emailed to competitors a week prior to the competition. See the AGENDA tab for details of division and seminar times.
Competitor prep: Competitors will have the choice to attend briefing sessions on Sunday, Oct. 20, to familiarize themselves with the ovens and kitchen space.
Kitchen space: All competitors will prepare and bake their pizzas in the kitchen using one of four ovens – gas deck, electric deck and high-temperature (domed) oven (oven specifications will be provided prior to the Summit). Chefs will provide their ideal temperature range (500-600 F, 600-700 F, 700-800 F or 800-900 F) and oven assignments will be determined by the chefs’ ideal temperature.
CANADIAN PIZZA SUMMIT WILL SUPPLY…
- Limited refrigeration space (competitors are advised to bring ingredients in coolers)
- Stainless steel prep tables
- Metal pizza peels
- Pizza wheels
- Pizza wheels
- Pie server
- Rubber gloves if desired
- Paper towels
- Hand wash station
- Spray cleaner
- Ingredients for 2 pizzas (minimum 12-inch)
- Pizza peel (if a specific type is preferred)
- Pans or anything specific to your pizza at the prep or bake stage
- A probe thermometer if required
- Presentation plate
- Any other items, such as a rolling pin, not listed on the Canadian Pizza supply list that you may require
The judging panel will be made up of impartial culinary experts that may include chefs, food critics and pizzeria owners. The judges’ names and bios will be published in advance.
- Pizzas will be scored on the following criteria:
- Crust (texture, flavour, appearance, crumb, etc.)
- Toppings (do the flavours complement each other? Bland, strong, appetizing, correct preparation, etc.)
- Creativity (innovation in ingredient preparation and use, wow factor)
- Bake (not burnt, undercooked, etc.)
- Presentation (visual appearance)
- Entrant must be the owner or employee of a Canadian pizzeria or restaurant that features homemade (fresh) pizzas comprising at least 25% of the operation. They must be 18 years of age or older. The competition is open only to owners, managers, chefs or employees from the restaurant and pizzeria industries. Canadian Pizza employees and their family members are not eligible, nor are employees or representatives of advertisers, exhibitors, other suppliers to the industry or their affiliates.
- Entrants must bake and present their pizza to the judges within their allotted time. Failure to do so will result in disqualification.
- Only one entry (type of pizza) per competitor is permitted, and up to two competitors per establishment.*
*”Establishment” refers to business ownership and not physical location. Corporately owned pizzeria or restaurant chains may enter up to two competitors across the corporation. Individual franchisees count as one establishment and may enter up to two competitors per franchisee.
- Entries will close when the maximum number has been reached.
- Bake times will be provided in advance of the competition.
- Entrants must supply enough ingredients for two 12-inch pizzas.
- Judges’ decisions are final.
- Winners must be eligible to travel to the U.S. for the International Pizza Challenge at Pizza Expo to collect their prizes. Prizes are non-transferable.
Competition registration opens April 1, 2019, on a first come, first served basis. The deadline for entries is Sept. 30, 2019. Any entries after Sept. 30 must be approved by show management. Entries close in any division once it reaches the above-mentioned maximum number of participants.
To enter the Canadian Pizza Chef of the Year competition CLICK HERE