10. It’s free! The Canadian Pizza Show and competitions are open to owners and employees of Canadian foodservice operations. This day is all about pizza, all about Canada and all about you, the people behind the pie.
9. The Chef of the Year competitions are exciting to watch! You'll see top pizza makers compete and demonstrate their techniques and creativity – all day long, centre stage. There are five exciting competitions to watch:
• Seasonal Pizza Challenge (10 may compete)
• The Great Pizza Box Fold-Off (10 may compete)
• Chef of the Year – Pizza Napoletana Division (12 may compete)
• Chef of the Year – Open Division (12 may compete)
• Overall Canadian Pizza Chef of the Year (two will compete – Pizza Napoletana and Open winners)
8. It’s a great way to check out – and taste – trends in pizza. Sandwich-inspired pizza, seafood pizza, squid-ink pizza, breakfast pizza, dessert pizza, potato pizza – we’ve seen a lot of innovation over the years and we hope you’ll keep showing us more. This is your best chance to see what your industry is up to. Snoop, take pictures, ask questions, compare notes, borrow ideas. It’s all good!
7. It helps keep your pizzeria cutting-edge. See what new ingredients, prep products, equipment and services are out there to help make your life easier and your pizzeria more efficient.
6. It’s a chance to compete and challenge yourself. Stuck in a routine? Why not test your skills in a competitive, friendly and supportive atmosphere? Everyone wants to win, but hey, we’re Canadian too, and we want you to bring your best!
5. Placing in a competition gives you iron-clad bragging rights. I suspect this is a bigger motivator than many of you care to admit. I know y’all are a competitive bunch. Post your winning plaque on the wall of your pizzeria, share your story on the menu and with your local newspaper. Being Chef of the Year – even competing in the event – will kindle interest in your regular customers and may bring in some new ones.
4. It is an excellent place to talk with suppliers. Whether you want to check in with your current supplier on what's coming down the pipe or learn about products from a new supplier, the Canadian Pizza Show is an informal, relaxed and fun setting to see what's new. Our exhibitors have a wealth of product knowledge they are keen to share!
3. It helps build your team. Manager, store purchaser, seasoned chef, make-line pro, front-counter customer pleaser or delivery diva – there’s a place for your entire team here. The Great Pizza Box Fold-Off is open to anyone in the store and the Junior division lets young chefs get a taste for competition. We've all heard millennial workers crave training and personal development. What better way to reward and inspire them to greater heights!2. Respected industry experts Diana Cline and Jeff Dover will be there. Jeff will talk about designing your menu to make yourself more money and Diana will share tips on capturing the vegan pizza market.
And the number 1 reason to attend?
It’s fun! When the dough starts flying, we’ve seen it time and again: the grins that come from knowing you’re exactly where you should be.
I might add this is a great chance to talk to your editor (ahem) and let her know what's going on at your pizzeria!
Now, it's time to take action. Check out our Canadian Pizza Show website for rules, photo galleries and a glimpse into what it's all about. Don't delay: Entries are limited, on a first-come, first-served basis, and close on Sept. 30.
See you there!