April 23, 2014, Austin, TX – Two flavours created by Canadians will be among 16 elite gelato flavours vying for the first Gelato World Tour title in Austin, Texas, May 9-11.
James Coleridge and Salvatore Boccarossa of Bella Gelateria in Vancouver will compete with Salted Pecan with Montmorency Tart Cherries & Tahitian Vanilla, and Tammy Giuliani of Stella Luna Gelato Café in Ottawa will compete with Rich Chocolate, Dark Rum & Wild Cherry.
The tour, a competition and celebration of “the art of frozen desserts,” has already visited Rome, Valencia, Melbourne and Dubai and will wind up in Republic Square in Austin, Texas.
The top 16 gelato flavours in North America were selected by Damian Mandola, premier chef, and Luciana Polliotti, an expert writer in artisan gelato. The other 14 finalists are as follows:
- Raspberry Beet by Baron W. Von Gottsacker of Bent Spoon Gelato, Sheboygan, WI
- Goat Cheese Cashew Caramel by Jessica Oloroso of Black Dog Gelato, Chicago, IL
- Fior di Bronte, pure Sicilian Pistachio, by Josh Collier of Café Dolce Gelato, Houston, TX
- Maple Brown Butter Pecan by Carmen Angelo Ricciardi of Carmen’s Gelato, Anchorage, AK
- La Grande Bellezza, The Great Beauty (Avocado Basil), by Silvia Bertolazzi of Carpe Diem! Gelato-Expresso Bar, Lafayette, LA
- Bananas Foster by Elizabeth McCleary of Devine Gelateria & Café, Sacramento, CA
- Chocolate Stout Beer with Carmel Crunch by Kimberly Zanni of Gelato Di Babbo, Lititz, PA
- Toasted marshmallow graham cracker: that’s a s’moré by Jon Snyder of Il Laboratorio Del Gelato, New York, NY
- Carmastachio by Stephen Hovis of Nucci's Gelato, Franklin, TN
- Texan Kulfi by Jasmine Chida of Sweet Cup Artisan Gelato & Espresso, Houston, TX
- Chocolate Orange Liqueur by Peter Miller of Tazzina di Gelato, Tucson, AZ
- Nuts by Matthew Lee of TEO, Austin, TX
- Turtle by Mary Stanley of The Turtle Gelateria, Brownwood, TX
- Profumi di Sicilia by Stefano Versace & Francisco Blanco of Versace Gelateria Italiana & Gourmet, Doral, FL
Visitors and the GWT technical jury will judge these competitors, with the top three moving on to represent the U.S. in the grand finale of the Gelato World Tour, in Rimini, Italy, later this year. The gelato will be produced using high-quality ingredients selected by MEC3 and provided by participants of the SFC's Farmers Markets. Admission is free for the public, and visitors and industry professionals are invited to become gelato aficionados by enjoying lessons, hands-on workshops and delicious instruction on the ancient art of making gelato.
Artisan gelato is made fresh daily with quality ingredients and contains high levels of protein, vitamin B and calcium, making it the ideal calorie cutting frozen treat health-conscious foodies and American moms appreciate. Gelato can also be gluten-free and with no artificial flavoring, making it a safe and scrumptious treat for every American.
The event is organized by Carpigiani Gelato University and the premier expo in artisan food, Sigep-Rimini Fiera. Main partners and leading manufacturers of showcases and ingredients, respectively: IFI and MEC3. The Gelato World Tour is proud to collaborate with local partners at the Sustainable Food Center and the Italy-America Chamber of Commerce of Texas.
The proceeds from sampling go directly to the Sustainable Food Center, an Austin-based non-profit that creates opportunities for individuals to make healthy food choices and to participate in a vibrant, local food system.